Tuesday, December 9, 2008

"Pressure Cooker" at IFC December 10th...

Sorry for the lack of posts (is one post a week really a lack? Maybe I'm just a little discombobulated after a post a day October), but I finally got my laptop back and will be able again to work with some expediency (my old desktop is very slow). Anyway, I wanted to put in a quick word for an excellent documentary I saw at CMJ this year, "Pressure Cooker," was has a screening tomorrow December 10 at 8pm at the IFC Center here in New York. Reading a synopsis of this film, it sounds pretty trite- it's a documentary about a group of inner-city high school kids in a culinary arts class, where they learn life lessons from a tough-as-nails, yet ultimately very caring, teacher. There have been about a billion movies like this in the past few years (past decade, really), but this one is actually good! And if you like movies like that, this one is really, really, really good! Despite some shampoo commercial level sentimental moments at the very end, this is really a special movie. The filmmaking is unobtrusive, emotions aren't forced, but the film is quite moving. As cynical as I can be about movies sometimes, and I was really cynical about this one at first, it really got to me. I dare say, it was heartwarming. Seriously, it warmed my heart. The IFC screening is definitely worth your time and money, and the filmmakers will be there for a Q&A, so dig on it (you can find a longer review of this by me somewhere on the East Village Radio site)...

No comments: