Tuesday, December 16, 2008

lament...

I think maybe I made a mistake in my last entry, comparing the two most recent films I'd seen in the theatre. There's something about pitting my (sort of) dislike of "Synecdoche, New York" against my like of "Punisher War Zone" that doesn't feel right. Of course, these are two totally different movies, coming from totally different perspectives with totally different intents. And I don't think it's necessarily wrong to use what I thought was excessive in a failed art film to accentuate what I thought was appropriate in a successful comic book movie, but there's something about putting down one thing to build up another that bothers me. Or maybe it's just a self-conscious defense mechanism, as I feel somehow like a Philistine from getting really into an action film that's gotten generally pretty poor reviews and disliking a "serious" film that's gotten mostly very favorable reviews. But I didn't like it, and I did like "Punisher," but I guess what I'm saying is maybe I should have written serparate reviews for each film. I'm generally nonplussed with my writing right now, as well as the sound of my own voice (and the sight of myself in the mirror), so maybe that's part of it, too. I'm feeling a little dusty, I guess, not having written as much over the past month or two as usual. Even so, who really gives a fuck one way or the other? It's just the idea of pitting works of art against one another, or not being able to recommend one without putting down another, no matter how inferior, it feels like a cop-out, like I should be able to express my interest or disinterest in something without doing that, or perhaps just making brief reference to it, not just comparing and contrasting things that are fundamentally really different. It's just like a cultural thing that I'm not really into, always fostering competition, always presuming that something being good means something else being bad, always having to put someone down, no matter what, just looking for that excuse to put someone down. I'm not into it. I mean, I'll put someone down, but not just for the sake of it, and not just to build someone or something else up. Two things do not always need to be pitted against one another. Then again, who cares? At least I get to post more Punisher pictures now...

No comments: