Tuesday, December 2, 2008

from beyond the unknown 23 (1973)...

Alright, I feel like posting but I still don't feel like writing (or thinking, or feeling, or being...) so more comics for you to enjoy. What struck me about DC's "From Beyond the Unknown" issue 23 (1973) is that the cover (by Nick Cardy) depicts a talking gorilla robbing books from a public library at gunpoint. I supposed it's not a super-inteliigent gorilla, ala "Planet of the Apes" or DC's own Gorilla Grodd, or else he'd know that the library lends out books for free, so there's really no need to steal them, especially with threats of violence. Especially not for "Treasure Island," "Robinson Crusoe" and "Moby Dick," three of the most readily available books in the English language. Or probably any language. Am I being really smarmy with this? I feel like an asshole. I always feel like an asshole. The funny thing is the scene isn't actually in the comic, which has the much more blase scenario of the gorilla going into the library and asking for the books, and the librarian reacting with only the most modest of surprise. In fact, there's a lot of weird stuff going on in this story, written by Otto Binder, with art by the great Carmine Infantino. You can read the whole thing below. It was originally printed in "Strange Adventures" issue 75, from 1956, which featured a different version of the gorilla robbing the library on the cover (I know it's really trite to make fun of old comics, and also to make fun of funny gorilla stuff, but I genuinely like this comic, and the cover image is just so strikingly odd and funny, so whatever, I'm guess I'm lame, but at least I'm amused)...







No comments: