Sunday, November 2, 2008

halloween in dc...

So, Halloween's over, which kind of sucks because it was something to look forward to. There's still the election, of course, but even that's only a couple of days away, and at this point anything but a sweeping Obama victory is far too devastating to even think about.

Anyway, I hit the bricks for DC on Thursday. Friday the plan was to go out to dinner (I'm visiting my folks) with my aunt, great aunt and uncle, and other great uncle, who were all also in town (along with like a billion cousins) and then come back in time for the neighborhood Halloween block party, check out the kids' costumes, hand out some candy and generally do some Halloween type things. Of course, family being family, we didn't make it back home from dinner until way after the party and trick or treating had ended (I also missed a showing of "the Howling," possibly with horror hosts on one of the local former-UHF stations), so basically after all the build up, I missed Halloween entirely. Before the party, while my parents' neighbors were setting up, I did take a walk up and down the block, and snapped these few pics, so enjoy...















It's so cool that the neighborhood takes Halloween seriously. Maybe next year I'll come back and actually go to the party. Anyway, despite a very non-spooky Halloween, which, again, was kind of a big let-down, I did have a decent weekend, got to spend time with some family members I don't see alot (everyone was there for my cousin's bar mitzvah), got to experience the full spectrum of my many, many cousins (including one, from Seattle [related by marriage, not blood, thank god], who was convinced that there were going to be riots in New York this week whether Obama got elected or not, to which I tried to explain to him that, at least for the thirteen years I've lived there, New York isn't really a riot-crazy town [again, I only have the benefit of a decade plus worth's of experience, but that includes September 11th, Bush stealing the election in 2000, and a citywide blackout during to dog days of August about four years ago, plus five fucking years of Giulliani with racist police brutality incidents like the sodomization, in a police station, of Abner Louima, and the shooting of unarmed Amadou Diallo, and thus far no rioting), got food shoved down my face every minute of every day here (in three days we went to two dinners and two luncheons) and my dad and I get to check out a screening of one of my favorite films, "Kiss of Death," with Richard Widmark and Henry Hathaway, and the AFI Silver Theatre just outside of Washington in Silver Spring, Maryland (it's a neighborhood where I used to go to check out record stores and thrift stores, and to the Tast-ee Diner, which they actually picked up and moved a few blocks about ten years ago, but anyway the whole area is super developed now, with lots of chain stores and stuff). The old AFI theatre used to be in the Kennedy Center, and it was functional but not much else, and the programming was fair at best (I saw "Day of the Dead" there one Halloween, but it was projected off VHS [keeping in mind this is several years before DVD had been invented], you'd think the so-called American Film Institute could get it together to find a film print), but the new space is really impressive, and the programming, done at least in part by a family friend, is really pretty decent. It's comparable to BAM or Walter Reade in New York, but with a more populist bent, and a nicer screen. Anyway, "Kiss of Death" kind of made up for missing Halloween and being a little sick all weekend, although, man, stress. It's getting to me. There are so many things I have to deal with when I get back, it's kind of ridiculous. And there's really nothing especially awesome going on to offset the tiresomeness. So, yeah, now I'm depressed. But, hey, chances are Tuesday is going to be this historical, inspiration, triumphant moment. Then again, Wednesday I have to go back to looking for a job (and, I just found out, a new roommate), you, y'know, depressed.

Hope you had a happy Halloween...

No comments: