Sunday, September 7, 2008

the spectre...

Submitted for your approval, the first two issues of the Spectre's ten issue run in Adventure Comics, by Michael Fleischer (writer) and Jim Aparo (artist). These stories are pretty much perfect, as far as I'm concerned. The writing is smart and clever, the art is, well, the art is Jim Aparo. Much as Aparo crafted definitive versions of Batman and Aquaman (and Deadman, the Phantom Stranger, and pretty much anyone else he drew), here he created the definitive Spectre- powerful, ominous, looming, angry...The stories themselves has a hardboiled, film noir-esque aesthetic that of course I love. At the time (the run started in 1974), the Spectre's violent, sometimes ironic means of grusomely dispatching his victims (always those guilty of murder) was controversial among readers (and presumably parents as well). I first encountered this run in the late 1980s, as part of the big box of old comics by cousins sent me (I've mentioned these here before). I was pretty young at the time and not really into horror comics yet, but these made a lating impression on me with their pitch perfect blend of atmosphere and revulsion...











Enjoy. More to come...

No comments: