Tuesday, August 26, 2008

you have to believe we are magic, nothing can stand in our way...

I'm sick. Yeah, boo hoo, right? Well, whatever, it happens. I'm sick of complaining about things. Oh shit, now I'm complaining about complaining. Life is horrible. Meanwhile, when I'm feeling a little better, I've got a bunch of films to review, starting with "Hamlet 2," which I caught this weekend, along with the double feature of "Maniac Cop" and "Maniac Cop 2" at Anthology Film Archives, with filmmaker Bill Lustig present. Maybe tomorrow, I dunno. Also, on DVD and video, "S.O.B.", "L.I.E.", "Serial," "Smothered" (doc about the Smothers Bros.), "Somebody's Watching Me!" and "the Nail Gun Massacre." Doubtful I'll get to all of them, but hopefully I'll do some or most. Any requests from the peanut gallery?

Meanwhile, here's what I guess is the first post in what'll be a long run of comics-related posts about DC's supernatural superheroes. First off is DC Super-Stars #11, featuring the "Super-Stars of Magic," those being Zatanna and some bad guy from the future who fights the flash. From 1977, this reprints a 1971 Zatanna story from Adventure Comics #413, written by Len Wein with art by Gray Morrow. Morrow's one of my favorite comics artists, and we'll get into him more relatively soon when we get to the 1980s "Spectre" series he illustrated for a time. Len Wein, of course, is a prolific writer and editor who's been active in comics since the late 1960s. He co-created Swamp Thing with Bernie Wrightson, and Wolverine with John Romita and Herb Trimpe. This Zatanna story is odd, somewhat insubstantial but decent enough, and nicely illustrated by Morrow, who also did the cover for this comic. The backup story is from Flash 128 (1962), written by John Broome with art by the great Carmine Infantino. I love Infantino's art, though sometimes it seems like all his characters look like kids. Meanwhile, the issue is loaded with little "extras" including a bio of Houdini with art by Mike Nasser & Terry Austin, who also did the title page illustrations of Zatanna and the Flash. Also, there's a piece on conjuring, and several magic tricks (of which I'm scanned one). Also below are a funny Hostess ad featuring Batman & Robin against some soul singing robots, and another ad for DC's horror line from the 1970s. Please to enjoy...

cover by Gray Morrow...

title page by Mike Nasser & Terry Austin...

Zatanna by Len Wein & Gray Morrow....


The Flash by John Broome & Carmine Infantino (inks by Joe Giella)...

Houdini by Nasser & Austin...



Elfish Hipsley? A Hostess ad featuring Batman & Robin...

Don't you creeps know how to enjoy Halloween? Ad for DC's horror line...

More to come...

No comments: