Monday, June 16, 2008

burn. convulse.

So, here are a few more scans from the last issue (#4) of the Steve Gerber- Gene Colan "Phantom Zone" series from 1982. I particularly like this sequence because it takes place in a punk club. Especially as early as '82, comics and punk never really connected. I mean, it sort of makes sense, guys who wrote comics in the later 70s and early 80s I'm sure tended to be a bit older and it's not like they were totally cool dudes or anything, y'know, comics guys, nerds, stuff, I'm not excluding myself from this, even if I did get into punk (though now it's more postpunk, at the risk of sounding totally pretentious. Yeah, wouldn't that suck?). Anyway, the lack of connection is kind of evident here, it seems like Gerber is kind of down on the punks, but whatever, it's a cool scene and I like, if only for the mercurial murderousness of the Phantom Zoners. Actually, this sequence is somewhat similar to the ending the 1982 film "Alone in the Dark," where a bunch of crazy killers wind up in a punk club at the finale, and it seems like we're supposed to be wondering who the really crazy ones are, or something like that...





Check back soon for comics and the promised Southland Tales review, plus some other shit. Also, give me a job, or just some money. Either way, but seriously, I need a job...

No comments: