Wednesday, May 7, 2008

join the world of negative pleasure....

It's been a busy week- I DJ'ed twice over the weekend, plus my weekly radio show, plus I went to go see Flight of the Conchords play tonight, plus work (and tomorrow's my birthday), but even so I finally managed to sit down the other night and scan some comics to put up here, which I've been promising (threatening?) to do for months. Expect, over the next few weeks, more posts than normal, with images from some Keith Giffen comics and some of the 80s stuff I've been reading, especially Suicide Squad (and hopefully, if I can get to them, some Steve Gerber stuff).
Also expect the usual film reviews, starting with "Iron Man" (I didn't like it). In the meantime, I thought I'd kick things off with some ads from late 80s/early 90s DC Comics. Since this was around the time I stopped reading comics as a kid, a lot of these were new to me, and thus fairly novel. Anyway, check them out below, click the pics for larger images...

An ad for the short lived "Flash" TV series, which was actually really good...


I'm sure it's pretty tame by today's standards, but this still seems pretty outrageous for a kid's video game. Great title...


Ad for the generally overlooked film version of the late Dave Stevens' comic "Rocketeer." I've got to cop to never seeing this flick all the way through, though from what I've seen and heard, it actually looks to be pretty good. Nice graphics on this one...


There's really not much to say about this. Is it worse that he was once a big time action star, or that people still let him make movies. Either way, this is similar, though not as cool, as the Freddy Kruger/Nightmare on Elm Street fan club advertised a few years earlier...


This show, which had episodes directed by terminally lovable and underrated Joe Dante, was about kids solving mysteries involving the supernatural. Have kid detectives ever not been cool? I own the DVDs of "Eerie, Indiana" and it holds up well as a smart, stylish show that never really got a fair shake in its' original run. This ad is pretty slick too (sorry for the crooked scan, I pretty much suck)...


Check back soon for more!

No comments: