Friday, February 15, 2008

really sad news...


I was extremely sad to find out today that Steve Gerber, one of my favorite comic book writers, died on Monday. Gerber is best known for creating "Howard the Duck," one of the most innovative and intelligent comics of the 1970s, and beyond that had a long career of other innovative and intelligent work, including work on the Flash, Superman, Man-Thing, the Defenders, the Avengers, Daredevil, Captain America, Iron Man, Hulk and Ghost Rider. He co-created Omega the Unknown (with Mary Skrenes) and Destroyer Duck with Jack Kirby (both used the Howard-esque character to vent their many frustrations towards Marvel Comics). Recent work includes the amazing "Hard Time" series for DC and a current run of Dr. Fate (in "Countdown to Mystery), also for DC.
I didn't know Gerber personally, but in some ways felt I did, both from reading his comics and his blog (which is currently being maintained by Mark Evanier), which I always found to be brutally honest, introspective, insightful and otherwise the work of a thoroughly fascinating, wonderful human being. I wrote quite a bit about Gerber and "Howard the Duck" in my graduate thesis, and spent a lot of time reading and thinking about his work, and I gotta say, and again, I never met the guy, but he was a prince.
Anyway, I'm really sad now and my heart totally goes out to all his family and friends, and the comic book world in general, which is now minus one of the greats...

1 comment:

Cecil said...

So, of all these mentioned: which was your favorite, and why? I just finished OMEGA, so good that my much-pickier wife is reading it, too! It's opened a world of topics and perspectives to which I must respond as a writer. Thanks to Plok and company over at A TROUT IN THE MILK blog, I collected the Defenders and LOVE it! I have two text pieces left after spending the weekend reading my bizarrely-misprinted ESSENTIAL MAN-THING, and came to California with HOWARD THE DUCK's volume as our only comic.

Ooo...so far, I'd have to give it to DEFENDERS, I think, as my blog has resurrected them for a crossover with my novel...but my greatest emotional attachment is to the Duck, fo sho.