Wednesday, December 5, 2007

kirby's black panther

Still don't much feel like writing. Things are depressing adequate and nothing more. The new job is going well, so if it weren't for this other personal disappointment and general frustrations I might be riding high, but no dice. I know there's a lesson to be learned here, in regards to pretty much everything, about not trying to force life to conform to my will, and accepting situations as they are sometimes, but it still stings more than a little, just feeling let run, run down, just plain down. But whatever, it happens, right? Things could be a hell of a lot worse, and I'm sure they will be eventually. Boo fucking hoo.

Meanwhile, I realize that I posted the previous Captain America stuff in reverse order, with the newer stuff first and the older stuff second. Doesn't matter much, but for the sake of perfectionism and self-debasement, I thought I'd fess up. The first entry was from 1976 and 1977, the second from 1975 and 1976. From right in the middle comes today's entry, featuring Kirby's 1976 work on Black Panther. This, as far as I know, was the first superhero comic from Marvel or DC to feature a Black character (African, not African-American) in the lead, unless you count the Falcon's appearance in the title of the many issues of Captain America he appeared in. Black Panther was also more-or-less the first Black superhero, first appearing in the late 1960s in the Avengers. He was, in fact, another Kirby co-creation.

The 1970s Black Panther book is much better suited to Kirby's talents and style at the time than his work on Captain America was. Black Panther's world involved many aspects especially in tune with Kirby's sensibilities- a secret kingdom, some frequently very mad science. Captain America is a great street hero, but 1970's Kirby was more geared towards the cosmic, and Black Panther gave him a chance to explore that, not to the extent that he did in his work at DC several years earlier, but moreso than Captain America. Kirby's work for Marvel on the comic adaptation of Stanley Kubrick's 2001, and a series, also called 2001, that would expand and extrapolate on some of Kubrick's ideas, would prove even more fertile ground for Kirby's predilication towards the cosmic (expect some issues to be posted some time in the near future)....










I have to scan more stuff before I can post again, but adjusting to my new work schedule is pretty much dominating my week. Up next, we'll probably be going back to Kirby's 1970s DC stuff, I still have OMAC and Sandman to post, plus some special stuff, and a few things coming to me in the mail. I also have at least one cool Kinski artifact to scan. Unfortunately, I haven't been watching films at all this past week, which is very unusual for me, but the combination of general tiredness (I have to get up at a specific time now, not just whenever I actually wake up), moderate stress and mild-to-mildly-heavy depression has prevented any serious film viewing, particularly Kinski-wise. I did start watching Duccio Tessari's US-lensed Eurocrime pic "I Batardi" (the Bastard, natch, circa 1968) with Kinski, Rita Hayworth (in one of her final performances), Giuliano Gemma (I think he's the Bastard) and Claudine Auger, but I passed out a few minutes in, not from disinterest, just from tiredness and general lack of focus...

Did I say I didn't feel like writing, I meant I totally feel like writing, and actually I feel kind of better, and a bit guilty for complaining so much, which I suppose I could always go back and edit out, but really my feeling is that honestly is the best policy, and my general intent for Negative Pleasure in the first place was to put my shit out there uncut (after months and months of incessant, obsessive self-editing on my thesis earlier this year, and for two years prior), so fuck it, I'm leaving it, if you think I'm a whiner, maybe I am, but so fucking what?

Ok, now I'm just getting hostile for no reason. I think it's bedtime. Sweet dreams...

No comments: