Saturday, October 20, 2007

weird war tales

As promised, here are some scans from DC's "Weird War Tales," which ran from 1971 to 1983. This series attempted to mix the genres of war and horror (today I supposed we'd just call that "Iraq War Tales"). One ongoing feature was called "The Day After Doomsday," which focused on the aftermath of war, its devastation and destruction or it, so you could say in some ways "Weird War Tales" has some definite anti-war undertones, even if not in every story, and usually inexplicitly. Most stories focused on World War 2, I think Vietnam was more-or-less taboo. Comics legend Joe Kubert was the editor on this. Known for his war comics like "Sgt. Rock," he also did alot of artwork and covers for the series. Click the picks for full size images and check out the detail on the logo, it's pretty cool...











Here's a complete, seasonally appropriate 3-pager from issue 36:





And a couple of non-Halloween ads I thought were cool. "Welcome Back Kotter" (which I secretly kind of love, now not-so-secretly) seems a little out of place, but I guess DC did a comic of it...



And what was the 'DC Explosion'? Any comic that hypes itself with images of Deadman, Big Barda, OMAC (I think, with the mohawk) and Martian Manhunter is pretty cool in my book...



Check back later for the daily film review (more Amicus horror), check back tomorrow for more comics and film, and don't forget to check out my radio show Modern Products, Sunday 4-6pm on www.eastvillageradio.com, where I've been celebrating, musically (depending on your definition of the word), 13 weeks of Halloween...

No comments: