Saturday, August 4, 2007

R.I.P. Antonioni & Bergman

A friend sent me this email last week:

'so this total bro and his ditzy girlfriend are riding the subway. the bro picks up a discarded new york post, browses an article, and exclaims: "whoah! ingmar bergman was a dude?"'

Originally this post was going to be an extended piece on the deaths, or really the lives and films, or Antonioni and Bergman, but in trying to write that, I found that I didn't have anything especially interesting to say about either. Bergman I am less familiar with although I like the films of his that I've seen.
I found a lot to identify with in Antonioni's films, especially his earlier work- Il GRIDO, L'AVVENTURA, LA NOTTE, L'ECLISSE - and his two "psychedelic" films, BLOW UP and ZABRISKIE POINT. These films were all great, but especially explosive (literally, in the case of ZABRISKIE POINT) in their endings. Particularly powerful is the mini-apocalypse of oppressive modernity at the end of L'ECLISSE.
Anyway, I think that's all I'm going to say. I'm certainly behind in my reviews, so hopefully I'll be back later in the week with a few new reviews- I still need to write about JOSHUA, BUG and the rest of the films I saw at the New York Asian Film Festival last month. Add to that list ROCKET SCIENCE, a very agreeable new comedy, and the first episodes of the upcoming seasons of DEXTER- maybe the best show on television?- and WEEDS- which started off kind of lame in the first season but by the forthcoming third season has gotten quite good. Well, maybe those are my reviews right there- agreeable, the best thing on TV, formerly lame- now much better. Anyway, expect more writing later in the week.

No comments: