Tuesday, April 17, 2007

last week

Here are all the movies I watched last week (Sunday April 8-Saturday April 14), with just a couple of words on how I felt about them (I'll try to start writing something more substantial on some of these soon hopefully). It was a modestly heavy movie viewing week for me, not abnormally so, but I still watched alot of stuff, maybe a bit more than usual on account of being stressed out and needing lots and lots of breaks and escapes.
-Where the Boys Are '84 (1984, US, Hy Averback) indifferent
-Zapped! (1982, US, Robert J. Rosenthal) enjoyed it
-Click (2006, US, Frank Coraci) disliked it
-Edmond (2005, US, Stuart Gordon) appreciated it but didn't especially like it
-The Silent Partner (1978, Canada, Daryl Duke) liked it a lot
- Art School Confidential (2006, US, Terry Zwigoff) disappointing, left me ambivalent
- Fired! (2007, Chris Bradley & Kyle LaBrache) enjoyed it
- Hamburger- the Motion Picture (1986, US, Mike Marvin) enjoyed it alot, probably more than I should have
-Hardbodies (1984, US, Mark Griffiths) again, enjoyed it more than I feel like I should have
-Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (2002, South Korea, Chan-wook Park) my one really fulfilling film experience of the week, kind of loved it
-Keeping Up With the Steins (2006, US, Scott Marhsall) adequate
-Bad Moon (1996, US, Eric Red) decent

Film wise, this was a week with a lot of Negative Pleasure, manifesting itself in a variety of ways. All of the 80s teen sex comedies, for instance, were films that most people would consider "bad movies", but I generally genuinely enjoyed them, mostly because of, and not in spite of, their flaws. Click was a Hollywood spectacle that I didn't like, but found interesting because it was so mean spirited and downbeat, a popular entertainment in which the despair felt more genuine than any of the attempts at positive, uplifting sentiment. Edmond and Art School Confidential were both independent films, adapted from other media, with good credentials that aspired to be challenging and didn't really work, the latter being something of a trainwreck, albeit an interesting one. Keeping Up With the Steins wasn't much of a movie, but it did make me think about the way Jews are portrayed in mainstream American entertainment (usually pretty badly), and it gets points for not using Jews and Jewish culture as a punchline in and of itself. The Silent Partner and Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance were both violent, arty crime films and were both challenging and satisfying, providing some Positive Negative Pleasure, I guess.
Bad Moon
had a werewolf in it. I like werewolves.

No comments: